Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Welcome, Pedro Martinez


37-year-old pitcher Pedro Martinez signed with the Phillies today. Pedro is a great pitcher who is, undoubtedly, destined for the Hall of Fame when the time comes. However, he's had a ton of injury problems the past couple of seasons, and he did not put up Pedro-like numbers with the Muts last year. Pedro has a career record of 214-99 and a career ERA of 2.91. However, last year with the Muts, he was 5-6 with an ugly 5.61 ERA, very un-Pedro like numbers.

"I'm really pleased and really happy to be here and I'm looking forward to making this happen and seeing how much help I can to this organization," said Martinez. ""It hasn't been easy for me, I don't like to make excuses, I gave it up the last few years. I wasn't the same Pedro Martinez that you are accustomed to seeing." He continued, "I think I was too brave sometimes, I was stupid sometimes for pitching and not in the regular health I should've been in. The last few years I have been horrible and I'm not saying horrible because of the results but because I didn't feel the way I wanted to feel. To be honest I wasn't the Pedro Martinez you are accustomed to seeing and I don't expect to be the same Pedro I was when I was 26. . . . This team needs a little help, very little help and I think I can supply it. I'm not gonna say all of it, but some of it."

He's right, of course. The Phils definitely need pitching help, and if it comes in the form of a future Hall of Famer with something left to prove, I'm all for it. Welcome to Philly, Pedro. May your stay be successful, and may you leave with a World Series ring. I never, ever expected to see you in a Phillies uniform, but I'm pleased to have you if you can help the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment