Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog.

By way of introduction, I was born and raised in the Philadelphia area.  I had the great misfortune of being born into a family of Philadelphia sports fans, and I caught the bug early.  Some of my earliest memories are of watching Dick "Don't Call Me Richie" Allen hit long home runs out of Connie Mack Stadium with my father, and of watching some of the really horrible Eagles teams of the early 1970's lose game after game, season after season.  Or then there were the 1973-1974 76'ers, who posted a 9-73 record.

The only saving grace was the Flyers.  The Broad Street Bullies won two consecutive Stanley Cups in 1974 and 1975, the only two championships the franchise has won in its 43 years of existence.  I still remember those championship parades as though they were yesterday, even though I was only 13 when the first one happened.

Although I have lived in Columbus, Ohio for 22 years now, I remain loyal to the Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers (although it's always a challenge when the Flyers play the Columbus Blue Jackets).  I've ridden the roller coaster, such as the Phillies' World Series championship last year, and the Eagles losing in the conference championship yet again.  Remember that, before the Phils won last year, it had been 25 years and 100 professional sports seasons since the last championship for the City of Brotherly Love.

True Philadelphia sports fans know pain.  They know suffering.  Rooting for Philadelphia teams is all about pain and suffering, with the occasional burst of glory.  This blog will help to track the pain of a lifetime of disappointment.

This blog will help track the travails of a loyal Philadelphia sports fan who has the misfortune of living 450 miles away from where his teams play.  Check back often.

No comments:

Post a Comment